Thursday, December 15, 2011

Gillian Welch at the Wilbur

Came back from a long weekend in Maine and went to see Gillian Welch and David Rawlings at the Wilbur Theater on Monday, 12/12.  We had tickets to the standing room section, stage center, and got there in time to get spaces right up against the stage to the left of David.

They opened with Orphan Girl, covered Wayside Back in Time in the first set, and closed the set with Eric Anderson's Dusty Boxcar Walls.  The second set was just drop-dead incredible from David's turns on Time the Revelator and Sweet Tooth to Gillian's incredible vocals on Dark Turn of Mind, Hard Times, and Tennessee.  They closed with two encores and their finale was Cash and Carter's Jackson.

If I have more time I'll try to describe how incredible it was.  They do the same act we've seen a number of times since 1997: same guitars, same clothes, same box ... but their presentation is what I'd call precisely spontaneous.

1 comment:

  1. I should note that I called Sweet Tooth after I heard them tuning. They grinned at me like, "I thought we'd disguised that well!," then launched into it.

    ReplyDelete