Sunday, January 1, 2023

Work History - Introduction

It's been over 8 months since I retired and I love it!  But I've recently realized that my work history is important to me, so I wanted to write a bit about that before I forget the details, which could happen quickly.  This is a condensed version, the full thing came to 61 pages.

Names of people I used to work with have flickered away, only to return at odd times, though faces persist.  But to preserve privacy, I won’t include names here.  I do want to include quotidian details, like what I did for lunch, dates of employment, what my commutes were like, how much I got paid, what I thought about the job and the company, and a little about what I learned.

I hope that a result of this long document will be explaining what I did for a living, which has always been a really tough question for me to answer.  It's not like I can answer "garbageman" or "teacher" when asked that.  I've been employed in many roles, and have usually had the opportunity to be able to meet the job in the middle.  I’ve been able to find spaces halfway between what "they" (the bosses) originally hired me to do and what I actually thought I should be doing.  I've been fortunate to have had jobs that I could make my own.  And I always got excellent performance reviews, they generally liked what I ended up doing.

Another important point is that I had quit 3 jobs of my own volition before the end of my career, and had been laid off 3 times.  My last job was the tie-breaker.  I'm proud to say I walked away with the tally in my favor!

No comments:

Post a Comment