Monday, August 30, 2021

Green River Festival 2021, Sunday

Well it was time for Sunday at the GRF, and it was probably about time for a more mellow day.  I'd seen 10 bands Friday and 15 on Saturday, so perhaps this was the day to just stay at our seats at the main stage and let the music come to me instead of me going to it.  Maybe.

Sarah got me up at 8:00 rather than at 7:00, but we got our stuff together in record time and were out of there by 9:20 or so.  We were checking out that morning, and so the car was packed with all kinds of disorganized stuff (including the table, which had been excellent), but we had it together.

Got to the parking lot and in line by about 15 minutes before they opened the gates, which was pretty impressive.  We were farther back in the FF line, with about 50 people in front of us, but when we got in we hustled to the sound tent and got our best seats of the weekend, go figure!

We had run into our old friend, EJ, at the GRF a few years before and had been trying to get together at the Festival ever since.  He's a long-time Western MA resident at this point and had been to many Festivals, including being a vendor at them back before we started going.  He'd been at Friday's and Saturday's shows but we hadn't been able to get together.  It's strange that sometimes you run into the same people over and over at these things and sometimes you just never meet up with your friends.

This morning was different (we hoped) and he showed up early himself.  Again, we almost missed each other as we were not at our seats when he first showed up there, but we got it together soon after that and had a great visit.  The music hadn't started yet and we were talking a while in our seats, and then slowly walked over to the Dean's Beans coffee truck and got some caffeine and a picnic table.  I got a plate of beans, rice, and guacamole at La Veracruzana, Sarah got some dumplings, and EJ got some bananas Foster bread and we talked and talked right through the first musical acts.  What a treat it was to see EJ again and what a great setting for it!

OK, time to screw around and see different stuff.  We missed most of Rachel Baiman, Soul Magnets, and Ali McGuirk but for a good reason!

Rachel Baiman at the main stage - She was there and singing, but we were talking with EJ and walking over to get coffee.  So Sarah says we should count her as "seen," even though it wasn't for long.

Bonny Light Horseman at the main stage - This was my "most anticipated" band of the weekend.  They're an all-star band of Anaïs Mitchell, Josh Kaufman, and Eric D. Johnson, each playing guitars and singing, and they do original English folk.  Are you blown away yet?  Well maybe not (most of the people I tried to build them up for were not), but they did not let me down.  What is original English folk you ask?  That's a valid question.  Just listen to these guys and open your ears to them, they are amazing.  I first saw Mitchell at the Boston Folk Festival maybe 15 years ago, and Kaufman (who played an incredible resonator guitar for most songs) has played with Bob Weir and many other bands.  They were one of the bands of the weekend for me and I stayed for their whole set.

Beau Sasser Trio at the medium stage - But then I toddled over to the other stage, meeting Tristan, DaveL, and Jack on the way, and settled in at the front of the stage with DaveB and Scott for some loud, rocking funk.  They were led (driven?) by an incredible organ sound, had a great drummer who rocked our souls, and had a great guitarist who played a peach Strat like a wild man.  They were incredible and I would have stayed for the whole set but I had to go see...

Ani DiFranco at the main stage - Ani was way up on my list of, "I can't believe I've never seen her/him!"  She has been around for a while and plays the kind of unique, multi-faceted folk I love.  She had two accompanists but who cares, she was dominating the stage.  She never plays two songs in a row in the same tuning, and everything she plays starts off edgy but then gets into a wild groove that takes on a life of its own.  I was so glad I saw her, and I enjoyed her act immensely.

Sierra Ferrell at the medium stage - Another OMG!  I had listened to a few of her YouTubes but didn't know what to make of her.  When I saw her live with a fiddler and a mandolinist I was blown away.  She played original songs in a traditional country and bluegrass style, in a way that took you back to a front porch in Appalachia, though you had no idea if it was a hundred years ago or a hundred years in the future.  Again, no others in our group saw her (as far as I know), but she and her small trio were one of the highlights of the weekend.

Watchhouse at the main stage - This is the duo formerly known as Mandolin Orange, who has done some great stuff over the years.  They've been at GRF before (several times?) but I had never sat down to watch them, and they surprised me by playing with a full band.  This was another excellent act, though they might have been even better in a more intimate setting.

Son Little at the medium stage - An R&B guitarist with a small band who didn't really shine for me.  He was trying to project a mellow groove and it didn't work quite as well as it might have earlier in the day.

Drive-By Truckers at the main stage - I was so psyched to see these guys, but you know how it is on Sunday at the GRF.  Sometimes you're exhausted and it's just time to leave.  We stuck around for a few tunes and their sound was great, but the scene was chaotic with everybody packing up (or trying to) and saying goodbyes to their friends so it was hard to listen to the band.

So we packed up and left too.  Soon got out to the car and took off, back on the highway pointed East this time.  What a great experience!

  • The sound was as good as ever.  A lot of bleed from one stage to another but I'm sure they (Kodiak Sound??) could address this with experience in that venue.  Some feedback problems but again, it was a new venue.
  • The instrument of the weekend was ... the saxophone of course!  If you lined up all the saxophones we saw they would stretch to Shelburne Falls.  Well, maybe you'd have to include the trombones too.
  • Great seeing our friends and hanging out at the concert and at the hotel.  We're blessed!
  • Great beer from Berkshire Brewing Company and I thank Gary for getting me a free one.
  • Saw 8 acts on Sunday so that brings my total to 32 different bands.  My head is spinning.
  • Many kudos to the GRF production people, volunteers, and staff for moving the Festival to a different place, dealing with an apocalyptic thunderstorm, and pulling everything off so well, what pros!
  • I hope they have a better lineup next year, but I'm going to be there no matter what.

Great drive back and the kitties (who had been catered to by Uncle Andrew), recovered fine from us being away.  Nice to sleep in my own bed again, but the GRF experience is not to be missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment